Victoria Back to School Tips
Here are a number of tips for parents to help get their young children back to school (or there for the first time):
- Make sure they are healthy for school. Schedule medical and dental checkups before the first class (fewer classes missed).
- Get their hair cut a week or two early so it doesn't look "barbershop fresh" on their first day.
- Update their wardrobe and their shoes. The clothes should fit, and should be appropriate for their classes (including gym). Those on a budget can check out the consignment shops or Calgary Goodwill.
- Put their name, address and phone number (and bus route info) inside their coats, lunch boxes and school backpacks. Labelling outside risks strangers faking familiarity by calling them by name.
- Introduce them to their teacher, so they know at least one face beforehand. It's also good for you to meet teachers beforehand, to open communication about learning and other problems.
- Buy books and supplies, taking advantage of pre-school sales. Check with the school or teacher what supplies are needed to be bought.
- Set up a homework area in their bedrooms or set up a homework area in the kitchen or living room, including proper evening lighting.
- Stock the homework area with the necessary supplies and an appropriate dictionary.
- Teach your kids to make their own lunches as part of their morning routine. Stock their favorite items when grocery shopping.
- Adjust their bedtimes and wake-ups to the school's schedule beforehand.
- Review the prior year's learning as part of the summer activities. You can also play games to review last year's curriculum just before returning to school.
- Walk your kids to school before the first day. Teach them the safest and shortest routes. If the kids are taking a bus show them the pick-up and drop-off points, and tell them not to get off at a strange stop.